Monday, February 2, 2009

Who Am I?

Like so many good LDS people, this week I’m reading the Book of Mormon every day. And like so many good LDS people, I have a hard time finishing this book and find myself stopping and starting all over again. It’s kinda cool how Heavenly Father knew the majority of us are a bunch of non-committal dolts because he put a whole lot of information in those first few chapters. Especially when it comes to what kind of people we are.

Take a look at the main characters presented to us in the first four chapters of Nephi. We have, of course, Nephi – the goody goody who does everything right. He listens to his dad, who just happens to be the prophet, then prays to receive personal revelation to verify the truths. He does what he's asked, knowing full well it can be accomplished as long as he does it righteously, faith never wavering.

Then there is Sam. He does what he’s told and doesn’t really ask questions. He does it because if dad says so, and Nephi’s double checked, then that’s good enough for him. Of course we have Laman and Lemuel, the ones who everyone in Sunday School says we shouldn’t be, but come on, they deserve some credit. They royally screw up and then repent, granted only to screw up again, but heck, they must’ve done something right because they made it to the promised land same as Nephi.

I must say my personal favorite is Zoram. I mean, here’s a guy who pretty much just wanted to be left alone and got dragged into this whole mess by being at the wrong place at the wrong time. He ended up with Nephi not so much because of his sense of right and wrong, but more so because Nephi was going to kick his trash unless he did as he was told.

It makes me wonder what kind of person I am. Am I a good girl who’s always listening and paying attention, double checking with the Big Guy to make sure I understand correctly? Or am I more like Sam and content with the fact that if someone else knows it’s true and I trust that person than it must be good enough for me. Am I a Laman and Lemuel, knowing right from wrong but constantly messing up anyway, or am I more of a Zoram…doing everything because I don’t want to get my arse racked across the coals after I die.

Maybe I’m like each of them depending on the day. Maybe one isn’t any better than the other as long as I make it to the promised land.

8 comments:

Shera said...

You should write a book. You crack me up, and are becoming quiet a writer. They just keep getting better and better.

Denise said...

Yeah, that was a really great post. Thanks.

Elizabeth said...

I love your posts. My parents gave us the Family BOM for Christmas a few years ago and we have recently decided that it's time to read as a family and so far we have done a darn good job. We read every night at 7 with the kids. Of course we have to explain things to them so that motivates me to really listen rather than to just sit there and it has been so good for us. Thanks for your post. It gives me something to think about.

Anonymous said...

I'm L&L, all the way. Maybe one of these days I'll get it right.

Velda said...

Good point. I feel like Lemuel some days, but he still arrives in the promised land. However, his progenitors do dwindle in unbelief, and I'd be sad if mine dwindled. Guess I better buck up and be a bit more Nephi-esque.

kellyclay said...

MaryBeth,
First of all I just have to say YOU ROCK!!!! I would have to say I am L&L. and Thank you doing this with me. it helps to have a Partner in crime. :)

Marissa said...

MaryBeth is my HERO!!! Way to make me think and laugh. You made my day.
LOVE YOU!!

Gramma Betsy said...

Wow Mary Beth. You hit the nail on the head with this one! Just don't tell me you're thinking of joining the Gadianton group!