Thursday, August 14, 2008

My True Self

It was bound to come out eventually, I just thought it would take longer before I finally came clean for everyone to see.

I hate being a stay at home mom.

Ok, it's not THAT bad, but the only reason I don't work outside the home is because I hate that even more. This will never change. I will always periodically hate staying at home but the reasons will change often. Today's list includes these precious bits of my life.

1. Dirty band-aids. Gross, eh? Rick had an ingrown toenail and had it removed a while ago and I'm still reaping the nasty band-aid benefits. I've found them on the bathroom floor, in the family room, and my personal favorite...the kitchen table. So freaking disgusting.

2. Children who try to reason with me. Aren is king of reasoning and it drives me insane. Every Sunday it's the same routine. We wake him at 7:00 a.m. to get to church at 8:00 a.m. and he tries to get out of it by reasoning. I've heard everything from, "I already know about Jesus" to "We just went to church last week!". He's not the only one that can play this game. I tell him that noboday likes going to church but we do it anyway and as soon as he's been going as long as I have, he can stop. I plan on winning this one for a while.

3. Sippy cups. Need I say more? These things are the most blessed and the most annoying creations every made. Sure they help to minimize spills and stains but when you have a girl that won't stop moving you never know where you're going to find one of those things. Once finding one, I hate trying to decide if I should open it and see if the cup is salvagable, or just throw the whole thing away and spend another 10 bucks on the next potential science experiement.

4. Constant cleaning. My house is NEVER clean. There is always something to be done. I work all day long to get the house picked up and "ready" for Aren and Rick to come home only to have said people come home and drop their crap right in the middle of what I just cleaned. It's like they can't live in a clean house...they have this inate desire to have constant chaos.

Shall I go on? I could do this for days but I'll save everyone from having to pretend to be interested in my issues. For those of you who understand, thank you. And to those who are planning on using me as the bad example in your next Relief Society lesson, don't worry. Tomorrow I'll post a picture of my children and tell you how much I love them and how I wouldn't change a thing about my life and you can go on pretending that you really like staying at home...your secret's safe with me.

15 comments:

Bobbi said...

MaryBeth, I know we are twins! I love reading your blog...you are the best!!

Lors said...

I love being a stay at home mom, but I would love it even more if we had the money for a maid. And I mean a live in maid. I am the one who makes the messes, but I also am the one who has to clean them us, so unfair!

MaryBeth said...

Bobbi, being your twin would make my life complete :)

Lori, A-freaking-MEN to that! What I wouldn't give to have someone come and clean up the messes I make. That's one of the first things to discuss with HF after I die...why didn't we all have maids? It should've been part of the plan.

Marissa said...

Exactly! The true 'Plan of Happiness' would include a maid. Somedays I would rather bash my head against a wall then wash another dish!

Melinda said...

I LOVE reading your blog MaryBeth! You should write a book!

I'm laughing at Aren's reasonings for missing church! He's one smart kid :)

Rick said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kellyclay said...

MaryBeth,
I love reading your Blog, I have days where I hate being a stay at home Mom and days when I love it. I have thrown one to many sippy cups in the Garbage. I have a some friends who have taught there Daughter that Sunday is no fun day.

kellyclay said...

oh and the Maid thing would be great.

kohlermin said...

MB your reasons are the exact reasons why I work! I don't like work but I hate all things domestic even more. And the way I see it the less we are all home the cleaner the house will stay. I'm still working on that one though (since everyone gets home 2 hours before I do)

Unknown said...

So far, my strategy is to have the smallest house possible so it can't get too dirty before we are forced to clean it. Eh, it's not perfect. A maid would be way betterAnd to go out. A lot.

DeCrescenzo Family Blog said...

I wanna know what the deleted comment said. :)

MaryBeth said...

Rochelle it was a comment form Rick and he was trying to be clever. I can't remember what it said, but it was anything but amusing...just sounded stupid.

He removed the comment without being asked ;)

Laura said...

Oh yes I love this! Love reading what you write - YES I despise everyones messes seriously!

Brandon said...

Hey, It's Just Yost. So let me get this straight, you can track me down on google. I've spent the last 10 years trying to hide from you people and with one little google search my fortress of solititude comes crashing down.

I checked my gmail email the other day. I haven't checked it for a while because I am really lazy when it comes to technology. I only set up a gmail because my yahoo mail was inundated with so much spam that I decided to call it a wash and move on. The only problem was that when I moved on, I realized that I didn't get anything but spam for email so I basically stopped altogether, but I digress. I checked my gmail for some reason and JoDee had forwarded to me your message left on "our" family blog. I emphasize "our" because I don't even know how to access it. So I get this message and started to reply to your message only to figure out that it would go to my wife and not to you. So I nearly bagged the whole thing.

This blogging reminds me of email back when I returned from Bulgaria. I was at my first class at BYU and the professor was talking about blackboard and email. I sat there and had no idea what email was. I didn't want to sound stupid so I just nodded with everyone else and winged my class without a syllabus. Years later people start blogging. I have spent the last hour trying to figure out how to leave you a message. I'm not even sure this is going to work. And what's more, people that I don't even know are going to read this and wish (either silently or otherwise) that I would pinch it off already.

So on my first attempt at blogging I want to say salut to the Harpoonovi. Good to hear from you.

Brandon said...

While I still maintain that it a little weird to leave an email for many people to see, I have set up a personal blog and it wasn't that bad. I thereby officially welcome myself to the blogging community.