Thursday, August 28, 2008

Sing, Sing a Song

So, Rick and I were asked to sing at church this past Sunday. We did a beautiful rendition of Where Can I Turn for Peace, complete with all the thrills and chills you'd expect from a hymn you've heard sung a million times...yeah, it was pretty much what you'd expect.

So afterwards someone came up to me and asked if Rick and I just sang all day long in our home. I just laughed and told her only on Tuesday and Fridays. Well, that's not totally true. We actually were singing yesterday and it was a Wednesday...and it wasn't hymns...it was 80's Power Ballads.

I totally miss the 80's love songs with all the great key changes and drums pounding and leading you into the overly dramatic chorus...great family fun. So to celebrate Rick and I singing on a Wednesday I've put up some of my favorite power ballads from the 80's and would love to hear some of your favorites. If they're good enough, maybe they'll make the cut and I'll add them to my list. Come on, don't leave me alone - be my inspiration and help me bring this ship into the shore...truly

15 comments:

Melinda said...

Fun post!

When I Look Into Your Eyes by Firehouse & When I See You Smile by Bad English are 2 of my favorites :)

Do I make the cut?!? LOL

Kimberly T. said...

Firehouse rocks!! One of my all time favorites - Love of a Lifetime.
How about anything Billy Joel? Or Every Rose Has it's Thorn by Poison.

Lors said...

Electric Youth by Debbie Gibson. I was such a cool 5th grader as I sang this song on my new minni getoblaster.

My Name's Sarah said...

It's hard for me to read and listen to music at the same time. I have to pause it. SORRY.

The Hatch's said...

Anything Chicago, or Escape club. Wow!! I can feel the side pony tail emerging from the side of my head as we speak.

DeCrescenzo Family Blog said...

Sister Christian
Can You Take Me High Enough

Unknown said...

I'm all out of love/I'm so lost without you/I know you were right/ believing for so long . . .

The beating of my heart is a drum and it's lost/And it's looking for a rhythm like you . . .

Basically every song on Air Supply Greatest Hits CD this post prompted me to dig out just now fits into the cheesy 80s love ballads category (like sing-with-your-roommates-late-at-night-using-brooms-mops-and-other-stray-household-items-as-mics cheesy) :)

DeCrescenzo Family Blog said...

Love Bite (Def Leppard)
Still Lovin' You (Scorpions)
In The Air Tonight (Phil Collins)

*~The Collins'~* said...

Oooh..oooh... me, pick me!!!!

Something to believe in (Poison)
Take My Breath Away (Berlin)
Always (Atlantic Starr)
I'll be there for you (Bon Jovi)
Right here waiting (Richard Marx)
Without You (Motley Crue)
Saving All My Love (Whitney Houston)
Lady In Red (Chris De Burgh)
Higher (Damn Yankees)
...and I definitely have to give another vote for Love Bites (Def Leppard) and Every Rose Has It's Thorn (Poison)

I seriously could go on and on with the metal bands... they were the BEST!!!! You GOTTA love the 80's. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey you! Where have you been all my life. Are you really in AZ? I might move there in a few months. Fill me in I miss you. Email me sknowles99@yahoo.com and we can get each others digits. Man I sound like a teenager with my choice of words tonight. Love yoU!

Steph said...

Hey you! Where in the world have you been? Are you in Az and if so where? I might move there in a few months. Fill me in!sknowles99@Yahoo.com

joywinn said...

Another one bites the dust...
Eye of the tiger...
Hard to say I'm sorry...

Anyway, I love the 80's. I wish I could have heard you and Rick sing. That's pretty cool that you have that talent.

MaryBeth said...

Ok, I forgot to add that there can in no way be any butt rock added to my collection...so goodbye to Poison, Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, Motely Crue...all losers.

But I must say that Air Supply and Berlin are definitely good choices.

Thanks to all who played. Stay tuned for the next installment :)

Anonymous said...

Young Turks - Rod Stewart

If for no other reason than the line "Patty gave birth to a 10 pound baby boy"

*~Petra~* said...

MaryBeth... the 80's would not have been the 80's without your so called "Butt Rock".

Seriously, I'm shot to the heart, and you're to blame!!!

LOL. You crack me up.